Problems with device recognition after clean install

Installing and configuring Tera-WURFL on your server.

Problems with device recognition after clean install

Postby rgriffith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I want to start off by saying I love the work you've done, it will be very beneficial.

I'm having some problems with the check_wurfl test page, it seems that user agents that are provided on the page are not returning any results for me. I tried pasting the same user agents into your Explorer on this site and they return results just fine. I've tried updating the database using a local file as well as updating via Sourceforge, and still nothing. I was able to successfully load an iPhone and iPod; however, so I'd imagine things are set up correctly. Is there a step I am missing?

On a side note, I had sent you an email yesterday (4/26) explaining a little issue I've encountered. I'm thinking this is related to the above issue, but when I search for my Palm Pre's user agent on your Explorer it returns the correct device; however, if I try to search for it using my installed version, the API returns nothing. Using the webservice, I actually receive simple_xml error, seen below:

Code: Select all
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: simplexml_load_file(http://166.66.46.204/tera-wurfl/webservice.php?ua=Mozilla%252F5.0%2B%2528webOS%252F1.4.1.1%253B%2BU%253B%2Ben-US%2529%2BAppleWebKit%252F532.2%2B%2528KHTML%252C%2Blike%2BGecko%2529%2BVersion%252F1.0%2BSafari%252F532.2%2BPre%252F1.0&search=is_wireless_device%7Cbrand_name%7Cmodel_name%7Cplayback%7Ctera_wurfl%7Cxhtml_support_level): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error

Filename: lib/TeraWurflRemoteClient.php

Line Number: 108

If you need additional information, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rgriffith

Re: Problems with device recognition after clean install

Postby kamermans » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 pm

The fact that the check_wurfl.php page does not pull up any results is a major concern. I'm guessing there is an error being thrown that you cannot see. Additionally, since you are getting an HTTP Error 500 when using the Remote Client, it also leads me to believe that there is something wrong.

The detection of Apple devices on version 2.1.1 is done using a simple query to the database, however, most other devices are detected using a MySQL Stored Procedure. If the stored procedures are not getting installed correctly, this may be the result. Please make sure that your MySQL user has the required permissions to create stored procedures as described in the Tera-WURFL Installation Guide.

If you are using MySQL 4 you must edit your configuration file and change the Database connector from MySQL5 to MySQL4 since version 4 does not support stored procedures.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby rgriffith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:40 am

Thank you for the response, it's greatly appreciated.

I'm using MySQL v5.1.44 on the latest version of MAMP. I used the root user for the database connection so the user should be able to create the procedures. Perhaps some privileges got messed up somewhere. I'll try a clean install of MAMP and see if that does this trick. To be continued...
rgriffith

Postby kamermans » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 am

You can test the procedure out manually by going into your MySQL manager (phpMyAdmin I assume) and pasting this in a new query:
CALL TeraWurfl_RIS('Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3',17,'Apple');

You should see something like this:
+-----------------------+
| DeviceID              |
| apple_iphone_ver3_1_3 |
1 row in set

Query OK, 0 rows affected
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby rgriffith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 am

It was definitely a permission issue. I reinstalled MAMP and it worked like a charm.

I was playing around with MIT's Mobile Web framework and I believe their SQL dump was the culprit, it added a bunch of users and I am pretty sure it messed with my root user. Go figure.

Thanks so much for the help!
rgriffith

Return to Installation / Configuration