Some info needed regarding database usage and wurfl update

Installing and configuring Tera-WURFL on your server.

Some info needed regarding database usage and wurfl update

Postby dranzer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:57 am

Hey, so I installed tera-WURFL on my server and will primarily be using it for remote webservice.

I have 2 questions to ask:
1) How is the database updated when an update to the WURFL file is used? Are all existing tables in the database deleted and new tables created again from the xml file? What minimum privileges does the database user need to have to update the wurfl file?
2) In terms of security, what should I be doing to protect my tera-wurfl installation? I will primarily be using it as a webservice.[/quote]
dranzer

Re: Some info needed regarding database usage and wurfl upda

Postby kamermans » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:48 pm

1) Yes, the tables are deleted and recreated. The minimum required permissions are listed here: http://www.tera-wurfl.com/wiki/index.ph ... figuration

2) You should disable access to the admin interface. Sometimes I move the entire installation outside of the web root (for example: /usr/local/Tera-Wurfl/), then use the command line updater admin/cmd_line_admin.php (I actually prefer doing it this way)
Code: Select all
cd /usr/local/Tera-Wurfl
php admin/cmd_line_admin.php --clearCache --update=remote

Is this webservice going to be accessed by an unknown number of IPs, or by a bunch of servers that you control?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby dranzer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply. Really appreciate it! :)

The IP's should only be a few known servers. I am guessing there is a way to restrict usage of the webservice to only these known IP's? How do I do that?

Also, you suggested putting tera-WURFL outside of the web root. If I do that, how would I access the webservice from another server?
dranzer

Postby kamermans » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

The IP restriction info is in the TeraWurflWebservice.php file. Also, to use the webservice from outside the webroot you can copy the webservice.php file and put it somewhere inside your webroot, then edit it make sure it can find the Tera-WURFL library.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby dranzer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 am

That seems simple enough. Thanks for your help! :D
dranzer

Postby dranzer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

This is a separate question but instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would just ask in this....

So, to use the remote webservice, we currently need to include the "TeraWurflRemoteClient.php" file in each of our websites which will be using the remote webservice. Is it possible to not have that file or a way to access it centrally from the main server which provides the webservice?
dranzer

Return to Installation / Configuration