User agent caching

Installing and configuring Tera-WURFL on your server.

User agent caching

Postby scottreed » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 pm

So, we noticed today that our database had about 2.5 million user agents cached, which seems to be creating some performance issues. What is the recommended approach for this? Should a periodic flush be scheduled as opposed to turning off the cache altogether?
scottreed

Re: User agent caching

Postby kamermans » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 pm

If you are using MongoDB, you can use a fixed-length table (circular log) which will purge UAs as they begin to fill up the server. Otherwise, there will need to be some sort of pruning. 2.5M is a LOT of user agents, I haven't seen more that a few hundred thousand or so in a cache table - are you using SimpleDesktop (see TeraWurflConfig.php)? This will dramatically reduce the number of cached desktop user agents. Also, are you using version 2.1.3? If you would like to send me a compressed dump of your cache table's user agents, I can analyze them and see if I can find a way to eliminate a bulk of them by tweaking the code.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Installation / Configuration