Problems Installing On Dreamhost

Installing and configuring Tera-WURFL on your server.

Problems Installing On Dreamhost

Postby johncross85 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 am

Hello!

I am having trouble installing Tera WURFL on my Dreamhost hosting account. I have successfully installed it on my local machine (Windows 7 running XAMPP) but when I go through the same process with Dreamhost I can't get it to update the device database...

When I try to update from "Your local WURFL file" or "The current released WURFL" both give me the same error, which is:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, xxx@xxx.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The log file says:

[Thu Dec 30 02:49:33 2010] [error] [client 94.192.195.120] File does not exist: /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.com/missing.html
[Thu Dec 30 02:50:29 2010] [error] [client 94.192.195.120] Premature end of script headers: updatedb.php, referer: http://xxxx.com/Tera-WURFL/admin/install.php
[Thu Dec 30 02:50:29 2010] [error] [client 94.192.195.120] File does not exist: /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.com/internal_error.html, referer: http://xxxx.com/Tera-WURFL/admin/install.php

...(obviously I've replaced some of the server and domain details with XXX as this is a public forum).

I'm assuming this is because of how Dreamhost is configured somehow but I don't know what the configuration problem may be or what I can do about it.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?!

Thanks,

john
johncross85

Re: Problems Installing On Dreamhost

Postby kamermans » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Strange. I would first verify that you have the MySQLi module enabled on that host, either by using their control panel or by looking at phpinfo()'s output:

Code: Select all
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

You should search for MySQLi - there will be many instances of this if it's installed, otherwise your probably just have the old-school mysql module. If you don't have MySQLi enabled, you should be able to enable it through the Dreamhost interface - it would be under something like "PHP Modules".

I will think about what else it might be. It's most likely a missing module since the script ended before any output was created.

What do you see when you go to http://xxxx.com/Tera-WURFL/admin/check_wurfl.php ?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby johncross85 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:14 pm

It says:

Error: Table 'tintamiterawurfl.TeraWurflCache' doesn't exist

Ill look into the installed modules asap...

John
johncross85

Postby johncross85 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:01 am

I have tried using phpinfo to see whether MYSQLi is installed and it is.

I've also done some digging around and found that Dreamhost are running php as PHP-CGI - would this cause a problem?

Googling for "Premature end of script headers" has turned up lots of stuff about CGI script errors so this could be related to the above. The common suggested solutions are:

- Make sure everything is has file permissions set to 755. I've tried this but it hasn't helped.
- Make sure the files were uploaded as ASCII. They were.
- Make sure that files use UNIX style end of line characters. I think they do.

...so no joy there!

john
johncross85

Postby cmcandrew » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I am having the exact problem and can't figure it out for the life of me. Dreamhost said something about if you're using too much memory on the server it will kill the session. Not sure, but I want to try on my pc as a test. I know it may not make a difference, but I'm wondering if something's getting banged up while uploading via mac.
cmcandrew

Postby kamermans » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm quite sure it's a dreamhost issue. Inexpensive hosting packages will often say you get something like 500MB of RAM, but you can only use 64MB RAM per-process, which means you really only get 64MB per instance of your webserver - this is far less than what Tera-WURFL needs to load the WURFL file. That having been said, the problem as described above is not related to memory, since the *install.php* file uses very little of it.

After doing some Googleing on "dreamhost premature end of script headers" (as johncross85 did) it looks like Dreamhost uses suEXEC, so I would try set the entire Tera-WURFL directory and it's contents to 755, then set the data/ directory and it's contents to 666 (or 777 if you're superstitious). Also, make sure your mysql user has full permissions while you're testing it.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby cmcandrew » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Awesome and yes, I agree. I have tried everything. I will try setting the permissions. I so want to use this and now I guess I'm getting what I paid for with a crap host. I'll let you know if I succeed.
Thanks Steve!
cmcandrew

Postby cmcandrew » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey Steve,
This may help other Dreamhost users and you were correct. It's all a memory issue. I set up a virtual server with them since I get one week free as a test and everything is GREAT. I do have a question though, would you only set up a VPS for the database? I set one up for both my host and the DB (it's just a bit expensive). In any case, it finally works. Man, I was going nuts. Thanks again Steve.
cmcandrew

Postby cmcandrew » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm

And I did not have to mess with any permissions. Forgot that part.
cmcandrew

Postby kamermans » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you! You should be fine using one server for both the DB and hosting if you get under 1,000,000 pageviews/mo or so (depending on the specs of the VPS and the site(s) you're hosting.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Next

Return to Installation / Configuration