How experimental is the mssql backend?

Integrating Tera-WURFL in your applications.

How experimental is the mssql backend?

Postby jwilliam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm

This project looks really cool and I'm interested in using it for a large project, but I'd have to use mssql as my db. The main website only says that it's "experimental." All I really need to start off with is basic information about mobile devices, ie, is this is mobile device and, if so, what is the screen resolution. At this point, would Tera-WURFL be a viable option for me? Thanks...
jwilliam

Re: How experimental is the mssql backend?

Postby kamermans » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

The MSSQL connector is labeled "Experimental" because I haven't used it for production yet. Also, the installation script will not be of much use for you if you are using MSSQL - this really isn't a problem, it just makes sure you have followed the instructions, it doesn't actually "do" anything. This having been said, I have run the MSSQL driver through the complete regression test and it passed 100% - churning through tens of thousands of user agents. Please note that the performance of Tera-WURFL on MSSQL is significantly less (although still much faster than any alternative PHP option). If you notice any performance issues, you can disable the use of the MSSQL Stored Procedures, as they seem to be slower than using PHP. To do this, edit DatabaseConnectors/TeraWurflDatabase_MSSQL2005.php and change
Code: Select all
public $db_implements_ris = true;

to
public $db_implements_ris = false;

Other than the database connection, everything else is the same and the library will behave exactly as it should. After you put the code up on your site, make sure you go to the admin interface and update the database from the local WURFL file. This will attempt to create the database tables and procedures for you. Please let me know if you have any problems.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby kamermans » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Also, here's an example of the $DB_HOST for a MSSQL server in the config file:
public static $DB_HOST = "SQLEXPRESS\wurflinstance";

This $DB_HOST variable is passed unmodified to mssql_connect() as parameter 1 ($servername): http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mssql-connect.php
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby kamermans » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 pm

jwilliam, I have gone over the MSSQL code in great detail, testing every feature and improved it significantly. The improved code will be included in version 2.1.3, but you may download it in its current state from GitHub at any time: http://github.com/kamermans/Tera-WURFL . All my commits to GitHub are done after extensive testing so you can be sure they are sane and functional. Please let me know if you run into any problems.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Using Tera-WURFL