generic web browser aka all non mobile

Integrating Tera-WURFL in your applications.

generic web browser aka all non mobile

Postby bwright » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 am

So the speed of tera is much better than the old wurfl. Plus plus on that. However I have a question how come on non mobile we get nothing but "generic web browser", no device_os, no device_os_version.

Having non mobile data would be very helpful has any one done anything to git that. System is win.a.m.p., wurfl ver (www.wurflpro.com - 2010-07-30 04:02:58)
I have added some test agents to see if I can get more info using "custom_web_patch" to no effect still returning.

(<device user_agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3" fall_back="generic_web_browser" id="terawurfl_generic_web_browser0"/>)
bwright

Re: generic web browser aka all non mobile

Postby kamermans » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi, you can set SimpleDesktopMatching to false in TeraWurflConfig.php then reload the WURFL to get detailed info on desktop browsers.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby bwright » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am

ok did that didn't seem to work. this is what I did updated SIMPLE_DESKTOP_ENGINE_ENABLE to false.

using the /admin/install.php I re-fried the wurfl.xml then I checked the *wurflcache table and saw that the data was still there so I think that perhaps it didn't reload the WURFL. To test I clearedthat table and tested with no change still returning generic web browser.

So this makes be think that WURFL didn't reload, how would you go about reloading the WURLF url target to manual or directions i couldn't find? ... do I just kill the db and recreate it? im just unsure what the next step is.

Thanks.
bwright

Postby kamermans » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Sorry about the delayed response - I thought I answered this post already :(. I think you are doing everything correctly, but the WURFL does not contain very much data on desktop browsers and as a result, the desktop browser detection is not very accurate. Tera-WURFL does a very good job detecting that it is a desktop device, it's just not good at detecting the capabilities of these browsers.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby bwright » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 am

What kind of data can I expect to get back when non mobile we what to use this more more sites but need to be sure that we get enough data to truly help us debug the site(s), os, os version, browser and browser version, is js enabled, are cookies enabled would all be critical to us debug our non mobile site? Is there any thing I can do to make the detection more accurate, such as find and load cgi's via admin manually and if I do that would i get the needed data from above?

Again thanks for your help i may move over to the feature request if the above is a no go.

Over all you have been a big help.
bwright

Postby kamermans » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

The capabilities you mentioned will not be accurate in most cases. The reason is that there is very little data in the WURFL itself about desktop browsers, so the APIs (like Tera-WURFL) need to guess what type of browser it is.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby bwright » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:38 pm

So are you saying that it's just missing data about desktop browsers? Could use the "somehting.com/Tera-WURFL/admin/generatePatch.php" page to append to the WURFL manually, if I were able to build/find a batch dump of desktop cgi's.
bwright

Postby kamermans » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Appending that file would classify them as a generic web browser. Please have a look at the web browsers patch in the data dir - this file is for desktop browsers.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Using Tera-WURFL