Flash video streaming capabilities

Integrating Tera-WURFL in your applications.

Flash video streaming capabilities

Postby GiLi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:12 am

Hi,
I am trying to use Tera-WURFL to detect if given mobile device supports Flash video. I would think this should be a "streaming_flv" capability. To test, I used Droid's ua (since I know for sure it is able to play Flash videos). Tera-WURFL returns false for Droid's streaming_flv capability. Why is that? Should I be using a different flash or video streaming capability?
Thanks
GiLi

Re: Flash video streaming capabilities

Postby kamermans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm

The streaming_flv capability means the device can stream a raw .flv video. If this is supported on the device, I can update the WURFL with this capability set to true. If you mean that Flash / Flash Lite is supported (it can run .swf files), then you should look in the flash_lite group. Do you have the user agent for your device?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby GiLi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Thank you for such a quick response.

I don't know if Droid can run raw Flash file, I tested only with .swf file and that worked. I checked "flash_lite_version" capability for Droid but that field is empty. Other capabilities from "flash_lite" group are set to false.

Droid's user agent that I used for testing:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; ADR6200 Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
GiLi

Postby kamermans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:57 pm

The newest WURFL should have a full flash support capability - would this be accurate for the droid? I'm in my car, but when I get back I'll look into it (is it illegal to post in a forum while driving?)
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby kamermans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm discussing this with the WURFL maintainer - it will be fixed in the next WURFL update.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby GiLi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 am

Oh, thanks! Will the new data be in "flash_lite"?
GiLi

Postby kamermans » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, it looks like this device supports full desktop flash SWFs, so it will have ['flash_lite']['full_flash_support'] == true
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby GiLi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks again.

For the same Droid's user agent (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; ADR6200 Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17) Tera-WURFL returns

<capability name="resolution_height" value="240"/>
<capability name="resolution_width" value="320"/>

I am not 100% sure what is actual resolution, but if I google this model it says 320x480.

I was able to patch this on my Tera-WURFL server (thank you for great instructions I found right here at the forum!) but I am not sure what is the right way to pass the information to you so that the official WURFL db is updated.
GiLi

Postby kamermans » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm a contributor to the WURFL, so I will get it updated.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby ChrisSeahorn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm running a full flash website and can't seem to reliable count on the 'full_flash_support' detecction to direct mobile devices to alternate pages. For instance If I hit my website with my Galaxy Tab, full_flash_support returns true(all good). If I hit my site with my HTC Incredible it returns false (not so good). As both devices are running Android Froyo I'm rather baffled. I cant rely on any other of the flash_lite properties as they all return false so it seems full_flash_support would be the one to focus on in my case. Granted I coulld use the standard html wrapper to redirect but being able to reliably count on wurfl to handle all of this would be perfect as wrapper methods have their own issues. Any insight from any of the gurus here? Are any others experiencing incorrect returns from full_flash_support? Thanks in advance...
ChrisSeahorn

Next

Return to Using Tera-WURFL