Tera-WURFL Explorer

Integrating Tera-WURFL in your applications.

Tera-WURFL Explorer

Postby Hachemi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Hello,
IS the tera wurfl explorer source code open source?If it is how can i get the source code?

If it's not, I'm looking to make a filter in my site of mobile based on the brand and model name , then i have to build a table in my database containing the whole mobiles brand names with the list correspondent mobile models, have any one an idea how to do this using Tera-WURFL?

Thanks,

Hachemi,
Hachemi

Re: Tera-WURFL Explorer

Postby kamermans » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi, sorry about the slow reply! The source code for Tera-WURFL Explorer is not open source, but the information you want is all in Tera-WURFL database. I would recommend writing a PHP program that iterates through all the devices in TeraWurflMerge that have actual_device_root=1, returning just the WURFL ID, then call Tera-WURFL's getFullCapabilities($deviceID) to populate the capabilities array, then write those capabilities that you're interested in (like device_id, brand_name, model_name, marketing_name, etc...) to a different table so you can look them up directly.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby Hachemi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 am

Thank you for the reply,

In the same subjet,I wonder about another thing in the Tera wurfl database
In fact when parsing the terawurflmerge table (and so looking in the wurfl.xml file) I noticed that a number of devices (specially Samsung devices) , their device OS aren't informed.Have you any idea about this issue, and have you any idea about how to get this devices OS.?
Hachemi

Postby kamermans » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 pm

Since this is an issue with the data in the WURFL itself, it is difficult for me to fix, although I am a contributor, so I can make edits to the upstream WURFL before it's released. Actually, it's possible that you are misinterpreting the data in TeraWurflMerge or the WURFL file - the entries only define the specific attributes for the device that set them apart from their parent device - this is because the WURFL uses inheritance to get the majority of its values. So, lets take this device for example: Samsung SGH-N500, its user agent is in the WURFL as "SAMSUNG-SGH-N500/1.0 UP/4" (wurfl id: samsung_n500_ver1). --- Actually --- As I'm writing this, I see what you are saying, even this example has a null device_os because it falls back on uptext_generic. Hmmm... Here is a count of all Samsung devices in the WURFL grouped by device_os:

Code: Select all
null: 932
Windows Mobile OS: 40
Android: 21
Symbian OS: 19
Palm OS: 2
Linux Smartphone OS: 2

I will make the WURFL team aware of this and figure out what is going on ASAP. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Using Tera-WURFL