Various problems with invalid detection

Discussion about devices being detected incorrectly. You can submit incorrectly detected user agents online at http://www.tera-wurfl.com/ua_submission

Various problems with invalid detection

Postby MrWayne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:21 am

Hi,

I've had reports from various users of our site that their browsers are being incorrectly recognised as mobile rather than desktop (including with IE9, although I haven't tried this myself yet - will do shortly).

Anyway, I found a user-agent that behaves oddly ...

Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+98;+SV1)

If I try this in your own test script on your website, then it is recognised as a desktop browser ...

'id' => 'msie',
'user_agent' => 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE',
'fall_back' => 'generic_web_browser',

BUT, if I try this on my website test script, then it is recognised as a mobile ...

'id' => 'generic_ms_phone_os7_desktopmode',
fall_back' => 'generic_ms_phone_os7',
user_agent' => 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7)',

I have dropped my database and updated from sourceforge to get the latest, and I am running the latest version of code, so I am at a loss as to what the issue might be.

Any ideas?
MrWayne

Re: Various problems with invalid detection

Postby MrWayne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am

I've now installed IE9, and have the same problem with this user agent ...

Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.0;+Trident/5.0)

... i.e. on your test script it's a desktop ...

'id' => 'msie',
'user_agent' => 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE',
'fall_back' => 'generic_web_browser',

... but on my test script it's a mobile ...

'id' => 'generic_ms_phone_os7_desktopmode',
'fall_back' => 'generic_ms_phone_os7',
'user_agent' => 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7)',

I need to sort this straight away or i'm gonna have to stop using Tera-WURFL!

Help!
MrWayne

Postby MrWayne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 am

FYI i've added this user agent using the "Generate Patch File" tool, but it would be nice to know if this is what you have done with your "official" system or not? I would expect a download of everything from the website to be identical to your system, but that might not be the case.
MrWayne

Postby kamermans » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi MrWayne, Sorry about the delay - the problem has been fixed in the development version of Tera-WURFL, available from GitHub here: https://github.com/kamermans/Tera-WURFL

Tera-WURFL Explorer always uses the development version of the API in order to provide a look at the current accuracy and performance of the library.

I am a little slow to release updates as I am currently working with the WURFL team to cross update Tera-WURFL with the official WURFL PHP API.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Device Detection Problems