Incorrect detection for BlackBerry Device

Discussion about devices being detected incorrectly. You can submit incorrectly detected user agents online at http://www.tera-wurfl.com/ua_submission

Incorrect detection for BlackBerry Device

Postby abbasali » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 am

Hello,

The user agent for my device is BlackBerry8300/4.2.2Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0. When tested on my local development server with MySQL v5.1.49-3 this correctly gives the deviceID blackberry8300_ver1_vid102.

However when I run the same test on my production server with MySQL v5.1.50 the device returned is blackberry8300_ver1. This is incorrect and the capabilities returned for this particular device are all generic.

I think I managed to track down the problem to the stored procedure TeraWurfl_RIS which returns the first found device. The above user agent actually matches both blackberry8300_ver1 and blackberry8300_ver1_vid102 devices and since no specific sort order is given in the query different servers will return the results sorted differently. That is why my local server is returning blackberry8300_ver1_vid102 while production server is returning blackberry8300_ver1.

This is not happening for all devices but BlackBerrys are mostly an issue.
abbasali

Re: Incorrect detection for BlackBerry Device

Postby kamermans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 am

Indeed, I am familiar with this; in fact, in Tera-WURFL 1.x I sorted the results before choosing one, but in 2.x I thought more about it and decided that sorting was unnecessary since whatever device I returned it would still be a reasonable guess. I will probably sort it again just to make the results more predictable, probably something like ORDER BY actual_device_root DESC, deviceID ASC. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, it seems the underlying problem is that the capabilities should be accurate for blackberry8300_ver1. You mentioned that the capabilities are all "generic" which should not be the case. I'll take a look at that device vs. blackberry8300_ver1_vid102 and see if there is anything unusual going on.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby abbasali » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Well I am not sure if sorting by actual_device_root DESC, deviceID ASC will solve the issue because we will still get blackberry8300_ver1 as the first match. One workaround I could think of is adding a new column sort_order to the Merge table but I guess that won't be the ideal solution. Moreover it will be a laborious task to identify each device and populate their sort order manually.

The term "generic" was a bit misnomer on my part :). What I meant was that blackberry8300_ver1 was giving me incorrect capabilities. It was returning is_wireless_device. Few capabilities like os, brand etc.. were altogether missing for that deviceID.

Thanks
abbasali

Postby kamermans » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:03 am

We are discussing this internally since we want all the Official WURFL APIs to return the same match.

Also, I took a look at the specific case of blackberry8300_ver1_vid102 vs. blackberry8300_ver1 and in the current WURFL database, their capabilities are identical. As a matter of convention, we do assign device capabilities at the actual device root level (blackberry8300_ver1), as the sub-uas like blackberry8300_ver1_vid102 serve only to help identify a device and send it to the actual device root definition.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby kamermans » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 am

Actually, it sounds like you may be using the database directly, in which case you are getting only part of the capabilities. You will need to descend to the returned device's fall_back and each of their fall_backs all the way back to the root device "generic", that we you get all the capabilities. On the MySQL5 version there is a procedure that will return all the fall_back devices for a given device, and if you use the MySQL5_NestedSet connector, the API can determine and return the entire fall back tree in a simple, single query :)
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby abbasali » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 pm

Well, I am not using database directly but using the TeraWurfl class.

I re-installed the database and latest terawurfl code from scratch and that seems to have solved the issue. Perhaps it might be a corrupt database case earlier. Not sure though.

So for now lets just consider this issue solved. If it ever happens again, will let you know.

Thanks Steve.
abbasali

Return to Device Detection Problems