Google tablet detection

Discussion about devices being detected incorrectly. You can submit incorrectly detected user agents online at http://www.tera-wurfl.com/ua_submission

Google tablet detection

Postby GiLi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am

I have a client using Google tablet (User agent Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1 Fennec/7.0.1) that is being detected as a non-tablet. My understanding is that if this user agent does not exist in db yet I should submit it to be added or if it does exist I can simply put a patch to override this capability.
But how can I tell if this is a new device or an existing one?

Thanks.
GiLi

Re: Google tablet detection

Postby kamermans » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm

The user agent you've provided gives no indication of what device this is. In addition, there is no indication of the Android version, so we can't even guess that this is a tablet. If the user agent was as follows, it would be detected as a tablet, since Android 3 is primarily a tablet OS:

Code: Select all
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 3.0.0; Linux armv7l; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1 Fennec/7.0.1
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby kamermans » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm

To answer the second part of your question, this user agent will not be added to the upstream WURFL database since it is erroneous and would cause other, valid devices to match improperly. If you want it to be detected properly in your environment, you can add a patch file as suggested, and make its fall_back="generic_android_ver3_0", that way it will inherit is_tablet=true.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby GiLi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Thank you. I will verify the user agent string before making a patch.
GiLi

Return to Device Detection Problems