Database abstraction (PDO/sqlite)

A place to talk about what is going on with Tera-WURFL's development, what will be included in upcoming releases and what you would like to see added to an upcoming version.

Database abstraction (PDO/sqlite)

Postby jddcef » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering why doesn't tera-wurfl use PDO for its database access, this makes the project database agnostic and will allow one to specify a connection string for sqlite for example.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php

Regards
jddcef

Re: Database abstraction (PDO/sqlite)

Postby kamermans » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm not opposed to PDO, but the problem has been making a CREATE TABLE definition that works across all platforms, so I would still end up having to make a PDO_SQLite, PDO_Pgsql, PDO_other_db connector. Additionally, the server-side procedure languages like T-SQL, PL/SQL and MySQL are totally different so I would need to do everything on the client site, which decreases performance.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Re: Database abstraction (PDO/sqlite)

Postby jddcef » Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 am

Couldn't you just write different implementations for each of the T-SQL, PL-SQL, and use the appropriate one depending on the actual DB being used?

Ok, I'm not an expert on PDO's implementation, but do you know of the http://www.redbeanphp.com/ project? They support MySQL, SQLite and PostgreSQL, so I'm imaging it's MSSQL that's the problem for supporting?
jddcef

Return to Improvements / Feature Requests