Memcache

A place to talk about what is going on with Tera-WURFL's development, what will be included in upcoming releases and what you would like to see added to an upcoming version.

Memcache

Postby EricBrown » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 pm

I have memcache enabled on my server. I think I saw a post somewhere with performance comparisons. Wondering if there will be future support soon? I'm working on a mobile ad server and I'm trying to get my response times down even further with minimal DB interaction sustaining 100QPS.

This works way faster and better than the original WURFL library on soureforge. Nice work!
EricBrown

Re: Memcache

Postby kamermans » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Indeed, I have been working on a memcache layer for Tera-WURFL at the library level and the remote client level. Recent tests are showing detection rates over 30,000 QPS on my test box :) If you want to test it I can send you a prerelease.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby EricBrown » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 am

How big of an update is it? Is it something that is simply a flag? Sounds very promising and I would be interested in testing. I'm seeing that loading the library for each request is taking between 40 and 60ms. Which is a bit much. The device detection is pretty quick once cached, but any improvement is welcomed. Great stuff.
EricBrown

Postby kamermans » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:47 pm

I would definitely suggest using APC to cache the PHP opcode - this will greatly improve the class load time. The memcache version of Tera-WURFL is actually a wrapper for the main class - this allows you to update the main library and the memcache caching layer independently. I will be working on it tonight so perhaps I can send it to you sometime tomorrow. It's just a couple PHP files.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby EricBrown » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:33 pm

I can see that 50% of our processing time is related to the Tera-Wurfl library and reading from and writing to the db. As we make improvements to our app, really eager to employ memcache.

Is there anyway I can implement a test?
EricBrown

Postby kamermans » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Sorry if this is coming so late, but if you're still interested in this, just shoot me an email at stevekamerman [at] gmail [dot] com
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Return to Improvements / Feature Requests