ADOdb support perhaps?

A place to talk about what is going on with Tera-WURFL's development, what will be included in upcoming releases and what you would like to see added to an upcoming version.

ADOdb support perhaps?

Postby lontongcorp » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello, I have difficulties installing Tera-WURFL in "some-smart" hosting company without support php-mysqli of their own reasons.

Anyway, any chance to use PHP-ADOdb library for database instead building by your own.
They served me well until now and support many database drivers.
For some reason, I use PostgreSQL only and it would be awesome if Tera-WURFL support this.
This will save your dev time a lot I guest.

Ah, one more thing, great tools folks!
Many thanks.

Erick
lontongcorp

Re: ADOdb support perhaps?

Postby kamermans » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Erik - I would love to implement ADOdb, but I haven't yet because I can't include stored procedures, so the ADOdb connector will be inherently slower then the alternatives. The MySQL4 connector does not contain stored procedures and could probably be adapted to ADOdb fairly easily with some find/replace magic. If I have some extra time this weekend I might create it since it opens up a whole world of different databases to use as backends.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

Tera-WURFL.com | Device Explorer
kamermans
Site Admin

Postby lontongcorp » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:04 pm

No rush, Steve.
That will make it perfect then using original XML file IMO :)
lontongcorp

Postby kamermans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 am

This is actually the third request for PostgreSQL support I received in two days, so I've got to do something :). I am considering ADOdb and/or PDO, but I haven't really used either - do you have some pros and cons that can help me decide between the two? I guess the syntax is probably so similar that I could just copy the ADOdb connector and make some slight changes to convert it to PDO.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Tera-WURFL and WURFL have joined forces! We have launched ScientiaMobile to provide commercial support for our device detection solutions.

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby BjornJohnson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:56 am

If this was a vote, mine would be for PDO.

Pros -
1 - PDO is native as of 5.whatever.
2 - I don't have a background with "ADO-style" programming, so I don't care about that.
3 - My guess is that PDO is going to perform better. Depends on use case, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cons -
1 - PDO is harder to debug at the development level...but since I'm not writing this, that's not my problem :)
2 - ADOdb has more RDBMS drivers...but if you look at PDOs basic list, I'm not sure that 98% (if not more) of your userbase is covered. Besides half the reason ADOdb's list is so big is version-based rewrites.
BjornJohnson

Postby kamermans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Anybody have some good ideas on how to abstract the database table definitions so I don't have to create the tables for each possible backend by hand? There ought to be some ANSI SQL -> [MySQL / pgSQL / T-SQL] class.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
Tera-WURFL Author
COO of ScientiaMobile

kamermans
Site Admin

Postby lontongcorp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I actually don't have experiences comparing PDO - ADO head-to-head. But if you ask me, I prefer ADO for my connections.

Agree with Bjorn, tried once, "PDO is harder to debug at the development level"!
If you concern about the PHP version, PDO is only available since 5.1 though can be installed as PECL extension for PHP 5.0.
Maybe, just maybe, PDO runs faster than ADOdb since it shipped with PHP core.

I don't know what do you mean with abstracting table definitions, but ADOdb have class to do this.
You can find out at http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-datadict.htm
lontongcorp

Postby lowsky13 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Any progress on a Postgresql version? I would like to get going with it.
lowsky13

Return to Improvements / Feature Requests